Thursday 22 October 2015

South African based Nigerian arrested with 3.9kg of methamphetamine in Lagos

Operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) arrested a Nigerian grocer identified as Ayoola Ayodeji Adebayo living in Pretoria, South Africa with 3.920kg of substances found to be methamphetamine at the Murtala Mohammed International Airport (MMIA) Lagos have

A statement by NDLEA says that the suspect who is married was arrested during the outward screening of passengers on Ethiopian airline flight to South Africa.



Speaking on the arrest, the NDLEA commander at the Lagos airport, Ahmadu Garba said
“A Nigerian living in South Africa by name Ayoola Ayodeji Adebayo was found in possession of 3.920kg of methamphetamine on his way to South Africa. The drug was found in a false bottom of his luggage while he was trying to check-in the luggage. The case is being investigated” Ahmadu stated.
Ayoola who holds a Higher National Diploma in Estate Management at Osun State College of Technology in 2006 said that he made a mistake getting involved in drug trafficking.

“I am a grocer in Pretoria. I have lived in South Africa for over three years. I am married with two children. My friend in Pretoria asked me to bring two bags to him. He bought my return ticket and gave me one hundred and fifty thousand naira. I thought the drug would not be detected because it was neatly concealed. This is a big mistake on my part because I have sustained my family with the grocery business. It will not happen again if I can get out of this problem” Ayoola stated.
Chairman/Chief Executive of the Agency, Ahmadu Giade said that the Agency has taken additional measures to detect hidden drugs at all exit and entry points in the country.
“The Agency has taken additional measures to detect hidden drugs at our exit and entry points in the country. This is in preparation for anticipated increase in drug trafficking at the airports, land borders and seaports towards the end of the year. The arrest of Ayoola whose drug was neatly concealed is an indication that more drugs shall be detected” Giade stated. 
The suspect will soon be arraigned in court.

No comments:

Post a Comment