Sunday 21 July 2013

Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde: “I Say No to the Senate Bill Endorsing Child Marriage”


Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde - July 2013 - BellaNaija
Governor of Bayelsa Seriake Dickson, Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde & Ben Bruce, Chairman Silverbird Group at the MBGN 2013 Finale
Popular nollyhood actress Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde was yesterday as panel of judges for the beauty competition in for Most Beautiful Girl in Nigeria 2013,which was held in Bayelsa state. She was later awarded with award of Silverbird Unique Personality Award.
Just before receiving the award, Omotola who wore a black-and-white striped maxi dress delivered an emotional speech on the trending topic of child marriage.
Read the transcript of the speech.
Let me first and foremost thank The Lord almighty, my saviour and help for this award.
Thanks also to Silverbird group the organizers of MBGN
Thanks to my wonderful husband, Capt Matthew Ekeinde, my support and best friend whose also here tonight. I am Today one of the Most influential person/people in the world because I wasn’t given off to marriage before the age of 18.
It scares and totally shocks me that the Senate in Nigeria (the most populous Black nation in the world and Giant of Africa) would not be passing in a law ensuring that every child should compulsorily be enrolled in school.

A very alarming number of children today are on the streets hawking or have been abused, raped or are married to men/women who should be protecting them.
Who protects the children of Nigeria?
Would we wait for another Milala before we act?
Should we now remove the parental caution on movies that say “Not for persons below 18″.
This is a call for justice and equity for children especially the Nigerian Girl child, who has the right to quality education, a childhood and the decision of whom and when to marry.
My Name is Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde and I say No to phedophilia and No to the senate Bill endorsing Child marriage in Nigeria.

No comments:

Post a Comment