Friday, 5 July 2013

Wife 'covered up husband's death for FOUR YEARS by burying his body on a farm to claim £60,000 in benefits'


A wife covered up her husband’s death for four years by burying his body on a farm so she could carried on claiming more than £60,000 of his benefits, a court has heard.
Accused: Hazel (left) and Carmel Adie (right) are charged with preventing the burial of Geoffrey Sturdey
Rebekah Sturdey, 56, is alleged to have prevented the 'lawful and decent burial' of her husband Geoffrey after he suddenly died.
The last confirmed sighting of Mr Sturdey was in October 2008 when he was aged 60.
His body was found by police last year buried at a remote communal farm where all lived together.
His wife and daughter was questioned after an investigation by the Department of Work and Pensions.
A court heard Disability Allowance and pension credits totalling more than £61,000 had been paid in Mr Sturdey’s name until last year.

Rebekah Sturdey, 56, and daughter Hazel Adie, 20 appeared in Swansea Crown Court yesterday charged with preventing his burial.
Two other members of their family, Boque Ore Adie, 43, and Carmel Adie, 24, also appeared in court on the same charge.
Iranian-born Rebekah Sturdey and Boque Ore Adie were also charged with fraud by failing to notify authorities they were in receipt of Disability Allowance and pension credits in his name.
Prosecutor Jacqui Lis told an earlier court that all four had been arrested after enquiries had been made by the Department of Work and Pensions 'as to Mr Sturdey’s whereabouts'.
She said: 'Police carried out arrests after the raised concerns about Mr Sturdey’s whereabouts. It has since been established that he died in October 2008.'
The body of Mr Sturdey was found by police buried on land at Beth Berith. An initial post mortem examination found that he had died of natural causes.
Rebekah Sturdey and Boque Ore Adie were remanded in custody.
Hazel and Karmel Adie were both granted bail on the conditions that they stay at their Tregaron address.
They were also told not to make contact with the two other defendants and to report to police weekly.
Officers are appealing for information about any sightings Mr Sturdey at his Beth Berith address.
The four will return to Swansea Crown Court for plea and case management in September.


No comments:

Post a Comment